Friday, February 29, 2008

Busy Networking


It seems to get a job you need to know somebody. That was the case for my internships and people who I've asked most of the times had some kind of familiar connection that led them to that job.

Now with college coming to a terrible end I have started to use my connections to meet the demise of the real world. Several friends and one brother have offered to look into helping me out if I would want to work with them. These options are key to really finding a job you want instead of being forced somewhere you may not have picked if you had other choices.

Some people have great resume boasters and really know where they want to work and have a set plan for after college. Not everyone has this though. I thought this article:
Networking for Students- A Step By Step Guide
has some great advice for defining what you want to do, how you will go about it, and how to keep in touch. I do a terrible job with putting in the effort to reaching out and keeping networks.


Another website Business Network Advice who interviews Ryan Mapes an entrepreneur had this to say:
Ryan Mapes: This list is endless! But, the biggest mistake I see is a lack of follow-up after meeting someone. If you meet an important contact and exchange business cards, be sure to send a quick email when you get back to the office. This can help solidify the relationship and open up the doors for further correspondence down the road. People commonly let important contacts go stale because they haven't made contact with the person for several years after they initially met. Don't let this happen! Again, a simple email once every few months will go a long way.
I think we overlook the idea of how easy and simple it is to keep shooting emails to keep in touch with those who can help us down the road.
Hey look even Alan Greenspan has a few words.




Picture Ref: http://jayderagon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/online_business_networking.jpg

3 comments:

Jessica said...

You're totally right. I think everyone should make an effort to send a short quick sweet little email to their former bosses and co-workers...

Hey, it's me. I'm doing this this and that. How are you? Hows your spouse? Let me know what's been going on. Ciao, me.

You're so clever, Brian

Steph said...

I'm not gonna lie, my internship summer after freshman year was the result of a personel connection! At first I felt awkard knowing that it wasn't really because I was qualified, but because who I knew. Now, I'm using my contacts to their full potential. Over winter break I went back to the office and had lunch with the whole team. It was a great way to catch up on what has changed and improved, but most importatnly it resulted in my old boss asking me about summer plans. Once I told her I would hopefully be in Atlanta for half and back in DC she was estastic. "Come back and work with us and then we can transfer your job up to our offices in DC!" So, even though I got an in through other peoples contancts, i'm making sure to keep them strong on my own!

Abdul said...

To tell the truth, I'm having a hard time here getting an internship because I'm new to DC (an international student) and I don't know anyone, so I think what you're saying is completely true. You need to know someone to get a job.

 
Technorati blog directory