Sunday, February 24, 2008

Facebooked Forever


I have a little disclaimer I just got off a four hour bus ride and a weekend of racing in track. I don't want to be here right now.

Update from last week: My class and I spent a few hours in Second Life and had a lot of fun. Like Steph said it isn't too bad. I will be deleting it because since I downloaded it my computer has been extremely slow.

The next thing I will talk about is putting information on the web more specifically Facebook. Most people in college like myself have facebook. Here it started out with college students, then high schoolers and now everybody can be on it. Now the question is can we really get away from it as some people are trying to do with how they are starting to lose their privacy.

An article, How Sticky Is Membership on Facebook? Just Try Breaking Free
talks about how you cant delete your membership. The guy talks about how hard he tried he coudln't
At first I was like wait what. That can't be good. I thought of the most inappropriate pictures of me on facebook and thought of them being there forever. that isn't good.


then I thought of the picture of jackie a few post down and said, maybe it isn't that bad and laughed.

I then read this:
“I thought it was kind of strange that they save your information without telling you in a really clear way,” said Magnus Wallin, a 26-year-old patent examiner in Stockholm who founded a Facebook group, “How to permanently delete your facebook account.” The group has almost 4,300 members and is steadily growing.
And realized from how it sounded the guy just did it wrong. I remember I tried deleting it freshman year, lasted a week and then got back on it and was happy it was still the same. So 4,300 people in a little group compared to about 6 million on the site, I think facebook is doing an alright job so far. I block my privacy settings and only my friends can see it. If they take that away however then it'll be time for me to leave facebook for good.

I thought this was stupid but I put it in because I didn't want to go through anymore terrible videos watch if you dare.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Brian,
Although that photo of me is extremely attractive, the thought of it being forever displayed on the internet is a little freightning, not to say that this picture of you licking a cd player is anymore attractive. I did too delete facebook for a month this year but needless to say im back in business baby and cannot wait to view innappropriate pictures until i am old and gray.

 
Technorati blog directory